Monday, November 10, 2014

How to Treat a "Goose Egg" on your toddler...

Last week my daughter was being the little gymnast and dare devil she loves to be. She had just learned how much fun it is to jump off of couches, tables, etc. Yes....dare devil. Her 3 year old brother does not help to discourage her either.

Well, as it would happen, we were preparing for company when we heard a bang and a scream come from the living room where the kids were playing. No, I am not a horrible mother for letting my kids play unsupervised. They need to learn their boundaries.

Immediately, we ran to rescue our child and assess the damage. I scooped up my daughter who was in tears and had clearly bonked her head on the coffee table. Before I could even set her down on our kitchen counter a nice, ugly "goose egg" had popped up on her forehead. To be honest, it scared me. I had never had this happen to one of my kids before.

From what I could tell, she wasn't dazed or having any majorly serious issues. She just had the "goose egg." And she needed some extra love. But I wanted to get the swelling down quick. I opened my essential oils drawer in my kitchen (yup...I have a whole drawer just for my oils...hope to eventually have a nice metal rack...but for now, just a drawer) and looked over my options.

A couple months ago I began collecting some oils that I knew would be good to have on hand for the delivery of our third child coming in March 2015. One of those oils I had added was Geranium. Why? Because Geranium is known to reduce hemorrhaging. As I am planning for my home birth, I wanted to have that on hand just in case. I live a mile from the hospital, but anything to have on hand in the case of an emergency is always good!

So, I applied Geranium to her "goose egg" as well as lavender (for pain and healing), Sacred Frankincense (for healing), and Valor (to calm). My husband did his best to apply an ice pack a little bit too. But when you have a squirmy 19 month old in your arms, applying an ice pack for any extended period of time is difficult! He maybe got in about 5 minutes total broken up among tries!

Our company arrived shortly after the incident and I did not get to reapply the oils till 3 hours later. By then most of the swelling had gone down and she was left with the red and bruised area. I reapplied those same oils before bed to her forehead (and my 3 year olds, because he insisted he needed some too...totally out of sympathy!).

After putting her to bed (in our room because I wanted to keep an eye on her periodically throughout the night), I began researching. I made sure I knew what to keep an eye out for and when to know there was a more serious issue than just a "goose egg" bump to her head. She showed no red flag signs of major issues. I did read that the "goose egg" can last up to a week! So, I felt pretty good knowing the swelling had gone down so considerably that that would not be the case for her.

The next morning, she was just left with a minor bruise. If you didn't know it was there, you may not even see it! I reapplied Geranium and lavender a few times the next day just to give the healing process an extra boost.

Thankful we have these oils and have the resources to know how to use them to best benefit our family! Interested in learning more? Simply email me, comment below, or click the member sign up link on the right hand side of this page!

Check out this photo showing the progress!

9 comments:

  1. Hi! Do you dilute the oil with anything?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not this time because these particular ones I used were not "hot" oils. But with others I do dilute with coconut oil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there an alternative to geranium? My 4 year old goose egg is a week plus now. Will the hot formentation and any oil work

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helicrysum or Joy. I would be applying Frankincense at this point and checking with her doctor if the goose egg stays angry that long. A minor bruise is understandable, but should fade quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you put on one oil at a time or all together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son has a goose egg bump for 5 days now. Could I still put Geranium on it?

      Delete
    2. Definitely! I would also add Frank. ❤️

      Delete
  6. My sons first birthday is tomorrow! he just fell and bumped his head on the dresser..
    All I have is lavender oil.. do you think just that could help make it go down enough by tomorrow.. ugh I hope he does for pictures!

    ReplyDelete