Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Why Essential Oils?

First of all, I am still new to the world of essential oils. I am still learning, but what I have learned has really amazed me! I think the biggest thing for me is how well they really do work.
How did I first learn about essential oils? From my dad. Him and my step mom have mentioned them before and then I had a couple friends of mine begin to post about them as well as my midwife. It all seemed like a bunch of voodoo magic at first. How could a drop of lavender actually help heal a cut or a burn? Could you really kill the flu with a specific oil blend?
Well, I was pregnant with our second baby and I got sick. The whole yucky sinus crud thing. And my friend brought me over some different oils to use. They actually relieved my sinus head cold and I was able to function! I did not need to use over the counter meds and I could even sleep at night using one of the oil blends! Then I bought my first oil from my midwife during cold season. It too was an oil blend used to decongest. And it worked! It worked on me and my husband and my son! And it was all natural!
So, then my husband and I began talking. Every single time we end up sick it costs us a lot of money. We are not ones to go to the doctor right away for everything and we try to treat simple stuff at home but we had been just going down to the local drug store and purchasing what we needed for the symptoms we were experiencing at that time. Still not a cheap endeavor. We got to thinking...if we could begin a collection of oils and have our own "home pharmacy" then we would not need to run to the drug store or the doctor as much. Yes, it would cost money to build our little "home pharmacy" but in the long run if we can prevent even getting to the point where we need to go to the doctor then it will save us money. Also, with the price of pharmaceuticals just getting higher and higher with Obamacare this was going to be the way to go! So, as a family we decided this was the right decision for us. So, we added it to our budget.
Then the question was, what company should we become members with? My father (who is very much in this whole health food/healthy living world) recommended a company called Young Living. They are very well known for having the top of the line best oils. These oils are not diluted, or added to in any way. They are 100% Therapeutic Grade essential oils and most all are safe to take orally. What I love is God created these materials to be used this way! The herbs and plants used in these oils have been used medicinally in this same way for centuries! This is how illness and simple things were treated before modern medicine.
The benefit of becoming a member for me was both the discount and the accumulating of product credit every month when I placed my order.
So, what can you use the oils for? You name it! From cleaning your house to helping you sleep! Here are just a few uses for the oils that I have in my "home pharmacy."

Lavender - heals burns and cuts. Stopped the bleeding immediately after my husband cut himself shaving. Soothes a crying baby. Clears baby acne. Reduces eye irritation (applied around the eye, not in it). Applied after shaving to prevent razor burn.

Peppermint - calms an upset stomach. Helps relieve infant colic. Relieves a headache. Reduces a fever without effecting the immune system.

Basil - menstrual cramp relief. Muscle pain.

Frankincense - can be used to treat strep, immune system booster

Idaho Balsam Fir - fever reducer, relieves symptoms of respiratory and sinus infections, pain reliever

Lemon - can be used as a disinfectant cleaner. I add it to my water. Natural diuretic.

Aroma Siez - literally have not needed to take OTC pain relievers thanks to this oil!

RC - stands for Respiratory Congestion. helps with bronchitis. This oil takes away a cough quicker than any cough syrup I have used.

Peace and Calming - probably my absolute most favorite oil. I have used it on my son when he needed to settle down for a nap. I used this while I was pregnant to help me sleep when I was most uncomfortable. I still use it periodically to get a good nights sleep!

Thieves - Kills cold and flu! Relieves a sore throat.

And these are only a few of the ones that I have and use and love! So, how do you use them? Some I have taken internally, others I apply topically, and all I diffuse when needed! If you want more info or have any questions about essential oils just ask. If I don't know the answer, I can find it for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment