Monday, July 7, 2014

Dealing with the Differences

Two children. Two completely opposite personalities and responses to everyday moments. What worked on your first has a completely opposite reaction/effect on your second. This is where I am at now with my life with two toddlers.

I am reading the "Mommy help" books and having to figure out a different strategy while still using my first strategy with my firstborn while making sure I don't cross strategies with my second! Sound exhausting? This is why I need a nap!

I am constantly learning and one thing that keeps being shouted out at me is to stop trying to simply correct behavior. I need to reach their little hearts. Pretty sure I have my sons heart. Not so sure about my daughters. And how exactly does one not simply correct behavior in a 1 year old? It seems like everything is "No! Don't do that! No! Don't touch that! No! Don't put that there! No! You're going to get hurt!"

Currently, my daughter has just discovered how to climb out of her crib. So, out came the toddler bed. The only problem with toddler beds is that they don't keep toddlers contained. The main issue is that a toddler can get out of any bed! My son was the toddler who, if he got out of bed, would simply read or play quietly by himself till I came to get him. My daughter, on the other hand, is the child who puts every toy in her mouth, runs with sharp objects, and screams at the top of her lungs if anything in her world is not perfect. Being separated for any length of time from Mommy counts as an imperfect world.

Life is definitely a crazy fiasco of discombobulation and me standing in the middle of it all with my hands in the air and a white flag of surrender being waved! I am learning as I go and praying much for the wisdom, sanity, and survival of both myself and my children.

How did you survive the toddler days? What have you found that has worked for you? Any comments on the matter are greatly appreciated! :)




1 comment:

  1. I understand! I am constantly seeking wisdom on how God wants me to raise these 2 completely different children who have 2 completely different responses to life! One who is easy going, willing to sit and work out her problems and find ways to communicate so mommy can help; and one who meets any obstacle with shear anger (including mommy if I in anyway prohibit an activity/behavior. i.e. tell him "no"). There are some days he is completely out of control and I have no idea if it is a behavior problem that needs correction or if he is in pain and needs comfort and he has no way of telling me what is wrong. There are days i feel completely inadequate and unable to meet even the most basic emotional needs of my 2 children. I have no answers but I completely understand where you are!

    ReplyDelete